Restored Xavier Student Chapel Blessed by Bishop O’Hara
Bishop John O’Hara, Vicar for Lower Manhattan and Staten Island, visited Xavier High School on March 21 to bless the student chapel and dedicate its altar with key supporters of the chapel’s restoration in attendance.
Barbara and Vincent Lewis ’62 and members of the Xavier Class of 1964 joined students, faculty, administrators, and members of the Board of Trustees at the Mass and reception. Xavier Chaplain Ralph Rivera, S.J. and former President Jim Keenan, S.J. concelebrated Mass, with Deacon Michael Nealis, D.M.D. ’64 traveling from Texas to assist in the liturgy.
To mark the important event, the McSweeny Chalice (one of the Archdiocese of New York’s oldest religious artifacts, forged in 1640 for an ancestor of Paul McLoughlin ’64) was used during the Mass. A commemorative program featured stories by McLoughlin, John Quealy ’64, Dennis Klejna ’64, and Rich Nolan ’83. Quealy and Klejna shared recollections of Anthony Aracich, S.J., and Joseph Latella, S.J., in whose memory the Class of 1964 made their 50th Reunion Gift to begin the chapel restoration. Nolan, former chair of the Xavier Board of Trustees as well as Staten Island’s Mount Manresa Retreat House, wrote about Manresa’s donation of six beautiful stained glass windows to Xavier’s student chapel.
At the reception following Mass, President Jack Raslowsky presented Vincent Lewis with the Xavier President’s Medal for his extraordinary generosity to the chapel restoration. The President’s Medal was established to recognize outstanding service to Xavier as well as outstanding service to the community.
To view photos from the event, click here. To read the commemorative program, click here.